There are currently just over 18,000 life coaches in practice across the United States, and growth in this industry is expected to surge.
Life coaches might just be the new personal trainers.
But how do you pick one? It’s especially difficult to find a life coach in Beverly Hills when there are so many to choose from.
Here’s everything you need to know about finding a life coach.
What is a Life Coach?
In our blog, we’ve covered performance and executive coaching. These are great ways to improve your professional life. A performance or executive coach might talk about your personal life if it’s impacting your ability to reach your career goals. But they stay focused on the details of your professional life. Their focus is on helping you achieve success and optimal performance.
A life coach is similar in that it’s a person who’s there to help you set goals and be accountable for them. But, a life coach is focused on the bigger picture of your life.
A life coach will want to find out what your passions are, and who and what you want to be. They will talk about your career because it likely impacts your self-worth and your identity. But they are not going to help you write a business plan. Their goal is to make the person you feel you want to be in your mind, the person you see in reality.
How is a Life Coach Different Than a Therapist or Psychologist?
On the surface, a life coach might seem like the same thing as a therapist or a psychologist. When it comes down to their interworking, methodologies, and purpose, a life coach is unique.
Think of a life coach as a personal cheerleader. Their purpose is to encourage a person to reach a goal or succeed during a difficult time. They are there to keep a person accountable during a time where they are trying to change or improve.
A life coach doesn’t need to have the same certifications as a therapist or psychologist. Their focus is not on diagnosing or treating mental health conditions. If you struggle with mental health problems, a life coach can be a great addition to your life. Especially if you need help gaining some clarity or direction in your life.
What Are the Benefits of a Life Coach
A lot of people spend their lives doing what they think they should do, and don’t take the time to think about if it’s actually what they want to be doing. Often what people want to do it hard and full of risk. It takes a lot of courage to be who you really are.
Here are the benefits of a life coach:
- A life coach will want to pull the truth laying around inside you out and give you the confidence to pursue it. Here are some benefits to getting a life coach.
- They will help you uncover your life purpose or calling. They will help you create a lifestyle that nurtures your purpose, whether it’s a hobby or a career.
- A life coach will help you asses if you’re really happy or not. It might seem a bit silly, but a lot of people become so used to mediocracy, that they don’t realize how unhappy they are. A coach will help you identify what makes you happy, if you’re happy and how to live a life that brings you joy.
- What holds us back in life is often associated with our beliefs and ways of thinking about things. A life coach will help you identify your thinking style and belief system, and pin-point roadblocks you’ve created.
- A life coach will help you achieve a greater sense of self-awareness and confidence.
What To Look for in a Good Life Coach
Unfortunately, there isn’t one straightforward resource for finding the perfect life coach. But a quick Google search for a life coach in your area will send you to different directories. But, when you’re searching for a life coach consider these key things.
- What type of training and experience does your life coach have? Do they have a college degree? Do they actively continue to educate themselves?
- Are they affiliated with any reputable organizations? Do they take part in seminars and other events? Are they active in their community?
- What are the coach’s core beliefs? Their background and hobbies? You’ll want to choose to work with a like-minded person.
- How old is your coach? Will you be able to connect with them?
- What’s their approach? What’s their process? Do they have one?
Once you find a potential coach and make an appointment, you’re still in a trial phase. During the first session, make sure you feel comfortable around them and that you get along. Watch and listen to these key traits:
- Does your coach feel liable for your achievements? Are they going to give your progress and goals everything they’ve got?
- Are they an out-of-the-box, but methodical and logical thinker? Are they willing to put in the effort to get to know you and create a personalized plan for you?
- Does your life coach listen to you? Or do you feel like they’re missing the point?
- Do they have a plan of action? Do they want to set specific goals and make a clear, realistic plan to achieve them?
- Do they want to push you further than you feel comfortable going? The best cheerleaders see the absolute best in you, they see all your capabilities, even if you don’t. You want to find someone who will push you.
How to Find a Life Coach in Beverly Hills
Finding a life coach in Beverly Hills can be daunting. There are a lot of options to choose from. Ultimately, you want to find someone who is skilled, educated and experienced.
We offer premier life coaching services to the greater Los Angeles area, including Santa Monica, Westwood, Century City, Brentwood, West Hollywood, and Beverly Hills.
Stop waiting to make a change, and take the step towards who you want to be. Click the link to contact us! We’re here to guide and support!